Thursday, March 20, 2014

Filling the pegbox

After spending some time grinding down the pegs to an appropriate length, I've completely filled the pegbox with the required 8 tuners. Alternating the 90 degree tuners allows for relatively easy access to all of them. I didn't even have to drill any new holes in the pegbox itself - I simply slightly bored out the existing ones to receive the metal tuners. And before you ask, yes, this increases the weight of the scroll side a bit, but hopefully it will still be easily playable.




5 comments:

  1. Hello Nicholas. I'm attempting to convert my fiddle into a hardingfele too. I'm triyng to get off the fingerboard right now.

    I saw the guitar tunners are a great idea. I want to know:
    what is the name of the straight tunners (the simpler ones) and where did you buy them?

    A suggestion, you can reduce the wood in the scroll. Here is an examble.

    http://www.timsviolins.co.uk/instruments/cherub/

    Nice job.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are Ukulele Style Friction Tuners & I'd replace them w/ Geared Tuners shaped the same way cause they turn more smoothly.

      Delete
  2. - the long ebony fingerboard lies between the tailpiece and bridge to the nut. Violins from the factory often need to have the fingerboard removed and re-secured and repositioned for ease of playability. violin tuner

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Guitar style tuners are way lighter weight than you think because they've made refinements to them. Interestingly enough they've renamed the Guitar style tuning keys for Violin, Viola, & Cello "Easy Tune machine heads". They've made alot of refinements to these tuners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a conversion neck w/ an extended Headstock.

      Delete